10 Year Reading Syllabus

 

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Even though The Little Prince is considered a children's book by many, it has been regarded as a book that teaches a lot about relationships and understanding the world as a whole. Since I'll be going off to college soon, having the little prince as the top of my reading syllabus will make sure that I read this book first before going off to experience a new journey in my life.

 Alice's Adventure in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

 To me, this is a little embarrassing but I've actually never seen, heard, or read the entire story of Alice in Wonderland but after some research about the book, I've learned that it's about the struggle of understanding and becoming a part of the "adult world", which seems to fit in well with for someone who will soon have to go through the same struggle.

 

 Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

After hearing about this book being adapted into different movies and shows, I've always wanted to read Little Women but never got the chance to. This book again being about the transition from childhood to adulthood with other themes of femininity and the importance of family serves importance as I transition into college and what lies beyond it.

 

Atomic Habits by James Clear

I've been recommended this title by a few people now and it's becoming more and more important as I need to prepare myself for college and form good habits that I can rely on. I know I don't want to become someone who is constantly tired and weary throughout college, so this book would help me become better at managing myself throughout college and life.

 Minor Feelings By Cathy Park Hong

 I've probably mentioned this a few times already but last year in AP Lang we read The Indebted, which is a section of Minor Feelings, and I fell in love with Hong's writing style and message dedicated towards immigrants and first generation Americans. I've always told myself that I would read the rest of the book but I never got a chance to, and that's how this book ended up on my ten year reading syllabus.


The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

The Joy Luck Club is another book that after researching about reminded me of titles such as Minor Feelings, The Leavers, and other first generation American related books. I've had a few friends recommend this book to me after I mentioned how much I enjoyed The Leavers and Pachinko, so this book made it onto my list.  

 

 Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

I first saw this book on Mrs. Liamini's bookshelf near the beginning of the year but never go to reading it. After some research about this book, it reminded me of the genre and timeline of Pachinko, one of my favorite books I read this school year. This book again falls into the historical fiction genre that I've started to enjoy more since reading Pachinko.

 

 The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

I've heard this book being mentioned multiple times in conversation and ever since then I've wanted to read this book myself. I've read other dystopian novels in the past like the Divergent series and The Hunger Games, so The Handmaid's Tale seems like a good fit for me, especially with the overturn of Roe v. Wade recently.

 

Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien

Another slightly embarrassing mention for me since I've never read this series even though I love the fantasy genre. Even though I've read the Harry Potter series and this book series always gets thrown into conversation with the Harry Potter series, I've never gotten the chance to read the Lord of the Rings series, which hopefully will be the book series I "escape" to in college. 

 

Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh

After being more exposed to World History this year, Sea of Poppies sparked my interest as it relates to imperialism and colonization. Another historical fiction that caught my eye as it reminded me of Pachinko and the themes surrounding Pachinko.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's in a Name?

Diving Into the Wreck

This I Have Learned